Saturday, May 3, 2014

My Cemetery Photo Archive

Welcome to my cemetery photo archive.  I hope you find it useful in your family tree research.

Why create my own cemetery photos website?  I've tried using a public website (www.findagrave.com) to share my tombstone photos with other genealogy researchers, but the increasing number of harassing emails was getting annoying.  A lot of people seem to feel they have the right to demand control of my photos just because they think they can.  The ones who are the worst are the ones who do no actual research themselves but spend their time making demands from people who do.  Others demanded I copy material from other copyrighted websites onto my tombstone pages such as obituaries, property records, or any other info they deemed necessary.  As the nuisance email volume increased (to 100's per week at times!) I realized the only way to solve the problem was to create my own website.

Purpose

This website exists to share my cemetery photos for free with other genealogy researchers. That's it.

This simple purpose statement has some implications.

First, this website does not contain all of my genealogy research.  My genealogy database with over 40,000 names and all of its documented sources can be viewed freely at Rootsweb Worldconnect. Simply click on the person's name on any of the grave pages in this website. Do not ask me where I got the birth year for your Uncle Hugo when his tombstone doesn't show his birth year.  Go to my database first where you can see all my research sources listed for Uncle Hugo.  If you still have questions about the data, then by all means contact me.

Second, this website is not for all your old photos of your Uncle Hugo. If you want to publish those photos, I think that's a great idea and you should create your own website.

Third, this website is not a cemetery photography service.  If you do not see your ancestor's tombstone on this site, that's because I haven't photographed it.  Please don't ask me if I have it in my secret stash of unpublished photos. Assume that what you see is what I've got.

If you find any data errors anywhere on this site, please let me know and I will make a correction as soon as I'm able.  Give me some time though -- genealogy work is never urgent!

A Word About Copyright

You do NOT have permission to copy any of my photos on this website, either to use on your website or for your printed publications.  They are all copyrighted by Darren Arndt, 2014.  However, these photos are free to view on this website and you are certainly welcome to link to my pages so visitors to your genealogy website can easily see the tombstone photos that are connected to your family. This website is hosted by Google, so as long as the Google corporation is around, this website should be around.


I hope you find who you're looking for.

Darren Arndt, May 2014
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Go to the Cemetery Listing


The Reesor Pioneer Cemetery in Markham, ON.,
resting place for my 5th-great-grandparents, Christian & Fanny Reesor.